The idea of this project came about after completing the first project of the year, where many photographs had to be taken. During that time, I took many photographs on my phone of different textures, ranging from shadows to light reflections to more physical patterns. I realized that I found these images more intriguing then any of the other pictures I took at the same time. Therefore, when the final project was announced, I decide that I wanted to do something with patterns.
Below are images of the orginal pictures taken for the first project, which inspired my final project:
After realizing what I wanted to do, I started to take pictures of any texture possible, ranging from linoleum floors to textured ceilings to wood. I had many images of many random textures from around campus.
Below are some of the images that I took that were not used in the final piece, but represent the variety of spaces in which they were taken:
After looking at all of the different textures, I started to play around with them and place them into Photoshop and Illustrator and arrange them into patterns. However, since they were so random, it was not looking right. I started to put color filters on them to make the images for colorful and graphic but it still did not look right. Next, I placed graphic elements on the piece, such as Illustrator-made patterns and lines to enhance the images, but again, the final result was not interesting but confusing and boring at the same time. Then, I realized that I was focusing my attention of the wood images more, due to their interesting patterns, so I eliminated every other image and focused in the wood. After going around looking for more wooden textures to take pictures of, I came across one of my shoe boxes with a Sperry's boat shoe logo on it.
Below is the image of the Sperry's boat shoe logo that was also used in the final piece:
After looking at the logo and back at the wood, I realized that they go "hand - in - hand" as a nautical theme. I now established my final idea for my project: I will take images of nautical patterns and arrange them into interesting patterns. I then started looking around the internet for nautical images and so plenty of driftwood but I also saw a lot of stripes of nautical patterns and colors such as yellow, blue, greens, and reds. Knowing that i wanted to include these patterns with the wood was a smart choice. Not only did it add a graphic element to it but it also added much needed color amongst the dreary woods. Looking for the pattern stripes was easy, considering many of my shirts were striped. I started to go through my clothes and take pictures of natural colored striped shirts.
Below are some the images used in the final piece, featuring the nautical colored striped shirts:
After arranging all of the patterns into 2 10 inch by 10 inch squares I realized that whole project as a whole looked unfinished. I know I wanted four 10x10 squares but I knew that four squares of patterns would be too much, so i scrolled through my phone and found images of sea rocks and water and boats. I placed them into Photoshop and edited them, then decided to make two of them, two 10x10 inch squares to simplify but strengthen the nautical theme of the piece.
Below are the two original images used in the final piece BEFORE being edited and cropped in Photoshop CS5:
After the project was completed, I was completely satisfied with the piece and it was noted that it resembled an add for perhaps Sperry's Top Sider, Tommy Hilfigger, or Ralph Lauren.









No comments:
Post a Comment